Post Secondary Accommodations Request Letter Dear Doctors,
We recommend that the following information be included in a letter to the post-secondary institution that your patient is attending, or about to attend. This is a template to assist with the drafting of your letter. Post-secondary institutions recognise ADHD as a legitimate disability and are bound by the Human Rights Code to offer those accommodations that will help the student with their disability and allow them to succeed in their chosen field of study.
It is important that the student schedule a meeting with their school's Disability Access Centre or Special Needs Office and meet with a counsellor to put the requested accommodations in place prior to beginning their studies. Once assignments have been handed in and tests or exams written, a school is unable to alter the student's existing marks. Even in the case that your patient is unsure if they will need the accommodations, it is better to have them in place so the student can access them if it becomes necessary. For instance, the student may find themselves partway through the semester and suddenly discovering that the assignments are too overwhelming for them to complete within the allotted time. It becomes extremely difficult to have a due date extended unless this accommodation was set up at the beginning of the term. On the other hand, if the student finds that they are able to complete everything by the due dates assigned, there would be no need to access this particular accommodation for that term.
I understand that_____________________ is about to enter (or is attending) __________________________. This letter is to confirm that__________________ has received the diagnosis of ADHD. (If applicable) and ____________________. (Include information on diagnostic procedures used.)
________________will require certain accommodations to assist him/her with his/her studies for their university/college career. I am sure that with the appropriate accommodations in place, _________________ will have a most successful educational experience at __________________. The following accommodations for____________________ will best help him/her to be able to access the curriculum and be successful in his/her chosen area of study.
Thank you for your kind attention to this matter. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
- Additional time for assignments, class work, tests and exams
- Flexibility with due dates
- Exams and tests will need to be done on a computer utilizing spell check
- A quiet environment to write exams and tests will be required to alleviate external distraction
- A scribe or access to either another student’s or the professor’s notes will be necessary
- Copies of visual aids and PowerPoint presentations will be essential
- Flexibility in the scheduling of tests, exams and assignments will be required in order to prevent overwhelm
- _______________ should be allowed to listen to headphones during class work time to help shut out distractions
- ________________ should not be unduly penalized for grammar or spelling
- ________________ should be allowed to clarify questions on tests and exams
- ________________ will require the use of a laptop during class
- ________________ will require the use of an FM amplification system
- ________________ will require frequent breaks
- An important accommodation will be access to a staff member at the Access Centre to: help monitor _______________'s progress on assignments, help her/him to break down assignments into manageable chunks, help with time management skills, procrastination, due dates and to review assignments to ensure that instructions are clearly understood.
--insert your signature here--